Mission of the Job Opportunities Task Force (JOTF):
To develop and advocate policies and programs to increase the skills, job opportunities and incomes of low-skill, low-wage workers and job seekers in Maryland.
The Senior Policy Advocate is responsible for researching and advocating for JOTF policy priorities at the state and local levels. This position focuses on workforce and adult education policy; access to education and work supports; job quality and workplace fairness; and barriers to employment such as transportation and criminal records.
- Actively support the JOTF policy agenda at the state and local level (experience in Prince George’s and Montgomery Counties a plus)
- Conduct research and analysis with a focus on workforce development, adult education, workplace policies and barriers to employment
- Write and edit policy memos, testimony and other advocacy material including blog posts for diverse audiences
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of issues within the JOTF portfolio and related policy trends
- Represent JOTF at meetings to further the mission
- Build and lead coalitions
- Organize and present at public forums to promote JOTF’s research and policy priorities
- Develop and maintain alliances and partnerships
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to research and analyze problems and propose policy solutions
- A strong understanding of policy-making processes in the legislative and executive branches of government
- Familiarity with policy trends on issues facing disadvantaged Marylanders, especially employment-related challenges of low-skill men and women and the workforce needs of employers
- A keen perception of the racial and socioeconomic dynamics of underserved communities
- Organized, detail oriented and have the ability to work in both a team setting and individually
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to relate effectively with diverse populations
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Experience with fact checking and quick turn- around research tasks a plus
Download PDF for full details and information on how to apply.